Thursday, August 30, 2012

Interview with KV Gautam, author of Love in Crazy Times


Love in Crazy Times, the debut novel by author KV Gautam been much talked about in the literary circles. The book discusses various issues youth face these days. 

KV Gautam is an independent filmmaker, cartoonist and entrepreneur based in New Delhi. He has worked as a cartoonist for leading newspapers like the Hindustan Times and the Dainik Jagran, and has illustrated more than 50 books.

KV Gautam is currently writing script of his first Hindi feature film Hum Honge Kaamyaab, a satire on corruption and society. He will also direct the film.

KV Gautam spoke to us about his debut novel, his life and his next book. 

Tell us something about your background?

I started my career as a political cartoonist for national newspapers. Later I got interested in entrepreneurship. Currently I run a media company in Delhi. I have future plans to make features films too. 

What inspired you to write Love in Crazy Times?

When I see young people I feel they are faced with many issues, whether it’s their love life or their career. Young people are more than often forced by parents to choose a different career or a different life partner from what they want.  This situation makes me think. I decided to tell a story which mirrors what the young Indians are going through.  

Some critics say you wrote the book for the young readers who have no taste for literary works?

Frankly speaking, I write for my young readers, not for winning some literary awards. I want to write in easy and engaging language so that people find it both interesting and easy to read. I don’ want people to have a dictionary to read the book.  I don’t have any literary pretentions. I had a story and I just wanted to recite it to my readers.

What are the issues Indian youth face these days?

Indian youth is going through a transitional phase. They are stuck between traditional Indian culture and the fast changing times.  Mostly, they are looking for a good career and the freedom to choose a life partner. Parents also find it difficult to cope with the changing times in the fast changing nation. 

So, what will be your next book?

I am currently writing a screenplay for a Hindi film Hum Honge Kaamyaab. It will be a comedy film about corruption. I intend to direct the film as well. 

I do intend to write another book after this. It most likely will be a non-fiction, some self-help or inspirational material.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was really entertaining blog post. Nice and impressive release.
Wholesale herbal incense