Monday, November 16, 2009

Darjeeling Is In West Bengal

Well, this is a message meant precisely for all those Indians who DO NOT know that Darjeeling is in the state of West Bengal, and feel that it is in the beautiful state of Sikkim.

Since I shifted to Delhi from Kolkata in 2001, I have come across a huge number of people who do not know that Darjeeling is in my home state of West Bengal, with most of them having this perception that Darjeeling is in Sikkim.

It is only after my latest such experience on 13th November 2009, where one colleague expressed surprise to know that Darjeeling is in West Bengal, that I decided to make this posting to inform everybody that Darjeeling is in West Bengal.

And yes, I will also like to dispel this misconception of a number of people that Siliguri is in North-East India. In reality, Siliguri is in West Bengal, and is in fact my place of birth.

2 comments:

pranay chettri said...

while it's true that darjeeling is not a part of sikkim, many would object it being a part of west bengal.
it is only a matter of chance that it is in the said state. else we are like chalk and cheese.
in fact i am sure that, we are not going to be in the same state sooner than later. then darjeeling will be darjeeling, and bengal, bengal

Che HUANG said...

thanks for the info~:)